Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Romanian Food!!





pic 1 - hot chocolate
pic 2 - Chocolate pastry from Fornetti
pic 3 - Mamaliga with sour cream at Papaya
pic 4 - Fried Chicken and Cheese at Andos
pic 5 - Vanilla/chocolate ice cream (in sibiu)

I just want to begin by saying- I LOVE ROMANIAN FOOD!! :):)

The LC has made arrangements for us to eat at two places, the first is Andos, which is a fast food joint. You can order a mini menu which can be with fried or grilled chicken/cheese/fish, and that is served with french fries and cabbage and bread. They also have sandwhichs which is not very different from the mini menu because they put everything in the sandwhich, including the french fries.

The other one is Papaya, which serves up traditional food and everyday we get a soup, a main dish and dessert. The food is delicious and oh I have to add, Romanians love their meat, bread and potatoes, and whoever knows me knows that that is all I survive on (and chocolate) :) Two dishes that I love are sarmale and mamaliga, I have to get the recepies for them. For dessert we have a choice of Tiramisu, chocolate eclairs, chocolate cake, something that is like cheesecake but is not cheesecake, something that translates to dream in English and other desserts that fall under the category of heaven/angel food/food that can make you smile forever!

I had written out some goals for myslef before the traineeship, and since I am not the most adventurous when it comes to food, one of the goals was to eat something strange… and I did… Tripe soup! I know it’s a delicacy in many places, including Romania, but its not something I have never tried before and I think I bowl of it is all I can handle in my lifetime.

But Romania has to thank its neighbour Hungary for two culinary additions. The first is the franchise Fornetti- they sell savoury bread (like patties) with everything from cheese to chocolate to meat to jam. There is an outlet on every street in Brasov and there is always a queue of hungry people at the shops’ window. The other is Kürtöskalács, its a hollow, cylinder shaped pastry fried in open fire and coated in chocolate, cinnamon, cheese, coconut, honey & nuts and thousand island sprinkles.

A drink that you will find in most pubs (lucky me) is Hot Chocolate! The consistency is just right and most places serve it with cream and a chocolate cookie on the side!! Lets just say I am qualified to write about the Hot Chocolate in most of the pubs in Brasov! :P

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* I wish we lived in a world where you could send that hot chocolate to me via courier right now! Van you lucky bum...I am drooling here :p

K.

2:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Groan, Groan, Groan - and to think everytime we eat the things you like I think of my poor daughter, making her breakfast with hot water from the bath and stirring it with her toothbrush -Van you fraud!!!
Ma

3:54 AM

 
Blogger Vanessa said...

karen : i can have one on your behalf.. :P but i really wish you could taste it.. you would love it.. :)

mother dear : that still happens.. except now we have plastic spoons.. :) and we have moved on from coffee to soup... :P:P

12:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home